Woodland Bird Hide
Photograph a range of woodland bird species from our long established hide in Derbyshire
Set on farmland on the outskirts of Wirksworth, our woodland bird hide has been carefully positioned to encourage a wide variety of bird species, including the notoriously shy Jay.
With nearby cover from trees and scrub, a long-established feeding regime and plenty of natural perches, the hide is an attractive pit-stop for a host of birds including tits, finches, woodpeckers and other passerines. Jays, who favour a ready supply of peanuts, are regular visitors and up to five of these brilliant birds have been seen on the feeders together. It's a delight to watch the flutter of colour and life as the birds feed, making it a great option for those wishing to photograph a variety of bird species at close range. The hide is very popular for people starting out in wildlife photography that want to practice their camera skills and gain experience with multiple subjects.
We make every effort to encourage a regular flurry of birds to the feeding station. All sessions will begin with advice to help you maximise your time in the woodland bird hide, but as with all wild creatures, we cannot guarantee particular species, or the frequency of visits. We ask that all visitors are understanding of this before committing to a session in our hide.
Please take some time to read through the information on this page. You can check availability and make a booking online by selecting a date from the calendar. Alternatively, contact us directly and we’ll answer any questions you may have.
Course: Wildlife Photography Hide
Availability: See calendar for available dates
Price: 1 photographer £60, 2 photographers £90
Deposit: £30 per person
Max group size: 2
- If you wish to photograph a range of woodland birds in a purpose-built photography hide, this is a great choice for you.
- The hide can accommodate 3 photographers.
- Due to the location of the hide, there are no toilets on site.
- We operate the hide to minimise our impact and encourage natural behaviour. These are wild birds and all visitors should understand that visits can never be guaranteed.
- Advice on arrival from a professional photographer.
- Flexible departure times for your session - we just ask that you give us notice.
- Complimentary refreshments.
- Smoking is not permitted in the hide.
- We recommend entering the hide at sunrise to maximise the early morning light and be set up for when the birds are most active.
- We recommend lenses a minimum focal length of 300mm. Zoom lens provide flexibility for a variety of shots.
- Fully charged batteries and plenty of memory cards!
- Own a tripod head? Bring it along! The hide is tripod-head friendly, giving you a familiar basis for your camera without needing to worry about tripod legs. You will need a tripod-head with a standard size mount (3/8 inch).
- Beanbags are provided if required.
- Warm clothing is a must. Sitting in a hide can be chilly, even when the sun is shining. We recommend wearing thermal leggings and tops with plenty of layers.
- Dark upper clothing is desirable to minimise signs of movement from within the hide.
- As always in the great outdoors, the pasture around the hide can become wet, uneven, muddy and slippery. Please wear appropriate footwear such as walking boots for your short walk to the hide.
- Patience. There can be lulls in activity during some parts of the day and the presence of predators around the hide may keep the birds in cover for short periods of time. Please remain quiet and respectful while you wait.
- We enjoy listening to podcasts or music while we wait (through headphones, of course), but you may prefer to bring a book or to doodle in a sketchbook.
- Any kind of insurance you think is necessary for the experience, such as camera insurance and travel insurance. This is not included in the booking.
- Tea, coffee, hot water and biscuits are provided to keep you topped up for the day, but please bring some lunch with you.
- Expert knowledge and advice on arrival to set you up for the day.
- Car parking on-site, just a short distance from the hide.